Thursday, September 8, 2011

baby girl is born

Tuesday night I went to sleep to be ready for a 2 am inducing of our birth mom. I feel asleep easily, which I almost always do, and slept for about 3 hours. I woke up around 1 am to shower and get things ready so that we could go to the hospital a little after 2 since that was when our birth mom was supposed to get there for her induction.

At 3 am we got a call that they still had not settled her into her room but that we could come any time. We waited a little bit and then drove over. After we had parked and walked over there it was about 4:00 am. Once we were there the nurse came in and let us all know that they would not give her pitocin until 7:00. Why in the world was she there at 2? Poor girl, I know she was tired already.

We killed time until 7 when they came in to start her pitocin. Guess what... that tired nurse at the end of her shift said she started it but didn't. We discovered that about an hour later. That was frustrating for everyone. So, at about 8 she got induced. Her contractions got really strong and just a few minutes apart. It was miserable to watch our birth mom in labor. I know she was in so much pain and there is nothing to do to help. It was awful. I couldn't even give her the assurance of how it will all be worth it. That is the kind of thing I would tell my sisters or best friends. I didn't have those words for her and it was really hard. I just prayed for her quietly and sat quietly for most of the time.

It was amazing to watch our birth mom. She is a very laid-back, calm person. She is pretty quiet too. She would be in the middle of a conversation and would just stop talking, close her eyes, and breathe deep during a contraction. I don't think people believed how much pain she was in because of how she was handling herself. I really admired her as I watched.

The day went on and on. Her doctor finally came in at noon to deliver the baby. I watched the whole thing and it was the most amazing experience. As soon as she came out, the birth mom's grandma hugged me hard and said, "that's your baby."It was surreal to watch her come into this world and think about her future days with us. We got to be by her as she got cleaned up and weighed.

Lucy Jane Wisdom was born Wednesday, September 7th at 12:12. She weighs 7 lbs. 4 oz. and she is 19.5 inches long. She has a full head of curly, dark hair (yay!) and she is seriously gorgeous. We will be honored to be her parents. 

I got to feed her first and second bottles. I was so happy to get to do that.

We spent the next few hours holding her and examining her and allowing our birth mom to sleep as much as that tired girl could. The birth family invited our parents to the hospital. Since Cam's dad lives in Palm Springs, he couldn't make it. My parents got to come and see us in the hospital. That was an amazing and generous thing for them to do. We looked at each other in the room holding Lucy and talked about how blessed we are to have be included in that part. It was truly amazing and they didn't have to include us in it. We are so thankful they did.

Then we went home. We said goodbye, walked out of the room, and cried. It was awful. We are home until discharge, which will be today or tomorrow. Our agency is with her now going through things. Hopefully we will know more about when she's leaving the hospital. For now, we just wait.

I will update you with more later. I will post pictures when I feel comfortable to do so.

4 comments:

  1. Praying for baby Lucy, birthmom, and you and Cam! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am to hear of the birth of your sweet little girl. What an emotional day! I'll keep on praying for you all, knowing you are in God's perfect hands. Little Lucy will be home with you soon - how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so happy to read that the lucy was born and is healthy. what a roller coaster ride for the both of you. what an amazing experience for you to be a part of. you are in our thoughts and prayers in ut. we miss seeing you. best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you had a chance to update. I have been thinking and praying for you so much! Now I am praying that all goes smoothly and that you can share some good news soon. :)

    ReplyDelete