Thursday, July 28, 2011

busy day

On Monday I was waiting for the roofing guys to get here to get started on our brand new roof. Woo! Funny, the things that excite an adult. But while I was waiting I thought I'd bake something. I have been making blueberry scones this summer that are DELICIOUS and I love scones. I fancy myself a scone connoisseur. They have been requested several times by my husband. I decided to make scones, but that wasn't exactly what I had in mind while I was stuck at home waiting for them.

Then I remembered that my sister, Lindsey, sent me a link with a recipe for english muffins that she has used before. I figured that since I had never made english muffins at home that I should definitely give it a try. I am not very experienced with baking with yeast. In fact, I have ruined entire recipes requiring a lot of ingredients and hours of time (we refer to that as the "orange roll fiasco of 2010") because I guess I killed the yeast or something. Who knows. It irritated me and I haven't tried using yeast again in 10 months.

Monday was the day though. I ended up using my Joy of Cooking recipe for the english muffins.


Rising... I don't like waiting for them. 

Cooking on the griddle. 

Cooling on a rack. 

 mmm.... delicious. 

This was definitely my first time doing this and there are things I'll do differently next time. I'm so glad my sister got me thinking about doing this.

While I was waiting for the dough to rise I had time to whip up some simple and tasty blueberry scones. I use this recipe and add blueberries. The possibilities are endless as far as the types you could make.
I love that it uses things you have on hand already, except the blueberries. 


I like to make the scones small so I divide the dough in half and make 2 rounds. That way I can eat two scones and it's really only one. :) Also it's better for sharing them if they are smaller. You can give the love to more people when they are small and you have twice the amount. 

These are dangerously yummy. Just ask my brother in law, Dain. I think he ate four or five in about 10 minutes when he had them with us. 

In case you're wondering, the roof didn't even get started on Monday due to the 40% chance of rain. Go figure that I'd plan a whole morning at home for nothing. Well, I guess it wasn't for nothing. Baked goods are something. Have a lovely day! 

1 comment: