Thursday, June 30, 2011

figs

Our fig tree has fruit that is ready to be picked, eaten, and enjoyed thoroughly by yours truly. I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for them to ripen. If you don't know already: waiting irritates me. But I have been patient and ignoring the tree for a few weeks so she could get ready for me to get the goods.

Here she is in all her glory.








A fig tree is the perfect place for creepy things and birds to live. The whole time I was picking them I was trying to avoid any leaves that I thought might have a spider on it. Picking them is also a battle of territory between me and the birds. They love that tree and specifically like to do this to the figs. While you are picking there will be these skins that drop from the trees as the birds have lunch.

 
I am in love with the fact that I can pick these off the trees and eat them. I am known to kill plants. All plants. It doesn't matter how much I try to love them, they die. This tree was well established before we even moved in, so i feel pretty safe that it won't die because of me. (Cameron is the one that waters it though, so I'm sure she's pretty safe.) 




If you are looking for me, I'll be in the kitchen enjoying the fruit of Cameron's labor and taking credit for it all the while. Any ideas of good fig things I can make? Share ideas if you have them! I know they are amazing with goat cheese. mmmm.... 

3 comments:

  1. I want some figs!!!!

    Iam going to be making jam on friday and theres a strawberry and fig one that I wanted to try but I can not find figs in the grocery stores......

    please share.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now if you just had some Newton.
    Love Dad-E Oh

    ReplyDelete