Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Fearless Leader

Yesterday we went hiking up north with my mom and step-dad. The trail was supposed to be about 7 miles long. So we grabbed lunch and waters and set out for a fairly quick hike. Well, the trail was not well marked and we got really turned around since you have to cross back and forth over the creek a bunch of times. We got lost. We got very lost.

I was really nervous the whole time once we were officially lost in my mind (after lunch). I could just see us being the ones that have to be life-flighted out of there or they'd have to send in a team of search and rescue people to find us, but there'd be no way to find us because we were somewhere totally off the path. I hiked on for hours thinking about all the terrible things that would happen. I seemed to be the most nervous of everyone in the group. I think they were nervous too, but didn't want to admit it.

We ended up making it out with sore feet and thirsty mouths. We ran very low on water the last hour or so. We got to the car and drank the water we left in there. It was boiling hot and the best drink I'd had all day.

As we hiked yesterday, I watched Cameron. I watched how he responded to the whole situation. When we were deep into the hike with no idea where we were, I made him look into my eyes and I asked him if he was nervous that we were so lost. He replied with, "no, but we need to get out of here." He was steady all day. He was a protector yesterday. He was also selfless. He went without water for over an hour at the end so that other people could have sips. I just love that he is a wonderful husband and leader of our family. I know that he will be an amazing father to our children.

I realize that this post may seem dramatic about being lost, but we were seriously lost. Our hike ended up being 6 1/2 hours long. We probably went somewhere around 14 miles or more and it was supposed to be a 7 mile trail. So, it was dramatic. We thank God for leading us out.

1 comment: