Friday, October 7, 2011

enjoying each moment

Cameron and I have loved this new adventure of parenthood. We waited a long time for it to officially begin. It has not been a seamless adjustment. There have been tears and frustration while we are trying to get into the swing of things. I'm sure it's only the beginning.

One thing we are trying to be intentional about is loving Lucy for exactly who she is. At times I find myself longing for the days where she will smile at us (She just started that and we can get her to do it 75% of the time. It's not gas, people. These are legitimate smiles.), when she'll learn to talk to us, when we'll get to see her personality in the full, when we'll know exactly what kind of hair she'll have (fro, please!), and anything that makes her bigger than she is and older. Well, we don't want to live like that. We want to relish in the little person she is right now. We want to enjoy her babyhood and not wish it away.

There are millions of little things I love about her. Here are some of the things I'm hanging on to as moments to treasure and store in my heart:

  • She loves snuggling. Her favorite place to nap is on my chest. She even holds onto my shirt, arm skin, and neck to get a tighter squeeze. 
  • She makes the cutest noises. We must get them on video. She cracks us up with her martian noises and her little coos. 
  • She'd rather be in our arms than anywhere else. I know there will be a day when she won't want to snuggle as much or be held. It's a long way off, but I never want to forget her longing to be held. She also loves to be touched. She loves her hair to be played with and her forehead rubbed. 
  • She needs me. I (we) am the one who can help her when she is in need of something. It's my job to read her cues and give her what she needs, when she needs it. What a special job (and tricky at times). 
  • Her hair is awesome. I love that she has a full head of hair. How do moms of bald-headed babies do it? I just look at her hair and my heart melts. I dream of brown curls and maybe even some wild hair going on when she's older. 
  • I love her little birthmark. She has a little light-colored birthmark on her right shoulder. I don't know if it will last, but it's there now. 
  • She has hairy ears. It's cute, I promise. I know it won't last, but it's adorable for now. 

She is the sweetest girl. She's happy. She's curious. She's smart. She's mine. What more could I ask for?

2 comments:

  1. One of my girls has hairy ears... it might last! She is almost two and hers haven't gone away yet. As a mom of two girls who have both been very bald, I do it by sticking bows on their heads with KY Jelly and wondering how moms of babies with hair manage :) I do love Lucy's hair. Are you able to put clips or bows in it? It looks so fine and feathery in pictures. I am so very excited for you guys. I remember Scott telling me about the beginning of your adoption process when he was training Cameron. It is so exciting that the adoption journey has ended for the moment, and the parenthood journey has begun. Many congratulations.

    Claire (from GPD)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for smiles!!!! You are a lucky momma to be getting so many so early! Every baby is so different. Carter didn't smile until 9 weeks old... seemed like forever!! But Charlie started smiling at 4 weeks :) I love it!

    ReplyDelete