Sunday, September 2, 2012

the two step


Today my sweet, first baby took two steps. We learned yesterday that she could stand in the middle of the room with no furniture within her reach. She liked that we all thought it was so funny and exciting. Today she stepped twice before reaching for the ground. My heart swells with pride, excitement, love. Then it sinks. My baby girl turns one this week. I don't understand how time has escaped me.

We've had our biggest year yet and it astounds me that it is coming to an end so quickly. I have spent each phase of trying to soak in the greatness of who Lucy is at that moment. I remember celebrating the little moments of new things she could do along the way and thinking how happy I was for her to be just who she is right this second. I didn't really look too far ahead to the next milestones. I wasn't ready for her to eat solids at 4 months. We waited until almost 7. I wasn't ready for her to crawl. In fact, I may have pulled her legs out from under her more than once to soak in another moment of my non-mobile baby. I wasn't ready for her to begin climbing on chairs and jumping up and down on them, or to climb on top of our coffee table and play with her toys up there. I was always really happy she was learning and growing, but I was never really antsy for the next thing to happen. Well, here she goes. She is learning to walk. Welcome toddler-hood. I am so not ready for you.

This month Lucy turns one and Emily turns seven. Two birthdays this month and they are the first ones both girls will be celebrating with us. (Actually we got to go to Emily's birthday party last year right after Lucy was born, but first as her parents.) We have big birthday plans this month.


I think someone needs to show me how to put one of these contraptions on one of the little humans. Maybe someone needs to show her how to lie still and not flip over furiously and crawl away screaming while I attempt to cover her hind parts. Also, someone needs to come to my house and paint my awful baseboards. I'll pay you in food and let you play with my children. Just think about it.

2 comments:

  1. Kim! I will paint your baseboards ;) be down to Arizona shortly ;) PS I miss you guys terribly! Lucy has the cutest little booty.. no need to hide it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your perspective on these early growing years. That is how we have been with Brooklyn, in particular. Loving every moment, and not rushing ahead. I used to gently 'flatten' her when she got up on her knees, and let her know she was NOT allowed to learn how to crawl yet. LOL Happy birthday to both your sweeties! My sister and I have birthdays 2 days apart, and we are six years apart, too. We love it! :)

    ReplyDelete